Net Worth Update
I’ve started a new approach involving a 4 step process.
- Fill out an online application
- Send an email with my cover letter and resume to a recruiter / manager at the company
- Send physical mail with my cover letter and resume to a recruiter / manager at the company
- Follow up with a phone call
As a result I’ve nailed one phone interview I’ve scheduled for this coming Wednesday. It really pays to follow up!
I’ve also started networking more and have some conversations lined up for this weekend. I guess the point of a job search is to get into as many conversations as possible, because interviews follow!
Interesting new investment idea
I’ve started to persuse the idea of investing in tax liens. This is how it works in a nutshell:
- Cities need money to run and get their money from property taxes
- When property owners do not pay their taxes the city doesn’t have enough money, so they issue a lien
- Investors can buy the liens in order to get the city the cash it needs to operate
- Property owners will then pay the investor the lien value + interest or lose their property
The whole process can take up to 2 years, during which your investment is incredibly illiquid. However, if you purchase a lien on a good property, chances are the owner will rather pay a lien rather than lose their property. Essentially, you trade liquidity for high returns and safety.